Thursday, October 4, 2018

Cooler days and savoring memories

Fall is here. The air is cool and crisp in the mornings. Skies are sometimes foggy and the sun occasionally decides to show up on a cloudy day. Today is a cool and cloudy afternoon at 43 degrees.

Saturday is my baby's one year birthday party! Two days ago he somehow became a one year, and I am still trying to wrap my head around that. The past month has flown by; he has changed in so many ways, and I wonder if he's smarter than my other two boys at this age. LOL But really, he makes me so proud to be his mommy. I recall his birth day like it was yesterday. Dropped the boys off at 0800 at school and drove to a small hospital in Plainville, KS where I was to be induced with a water birth delivery. The labor was a little more intense (drawn out) than my last birth, but that is what you get with inductions! I was term pregnancy and not progressing much so this did seem appropriate. The induction was initiated by using a foley bulb (look it up if you do not know how it works.. it is interesting!), and it worked perfectly. By mid morning, the foley bulb fell out. I had dilated more and contractions started. I tried many different things to help move the labor along. Use of an exercise ball, squatting bar, and even sitting on a toilet - just to name a few! I would have to say that sitting on the toilet was the best for getting through contractions with this babe. Around 4 pm I knew that my contractions were so intense that the baby would soon be here. I asked for something for pain through my IV but I knew I had to get checked first. Yep, I was dilated to about 10 cm and couldn't have anything and ready to push little guy out! Since I was wanting a water birth, they had the water all ready for me to go which was very relaxing once I got in the water. After several pushes, little Colton came out and got to hold right away. So much love for this little human. Then Kerry took him and snuggled while I got stitched up. Like my other two boys, I will never forget this memory that impressed upon my heart.


For parents, it is easy to understand the joy that comes along when their child is born. For those who don't have children or wanting to start a family, they long for this feeling. I know of many heart breaks with miscarriages, stillbirths, and infertility/problems conceiving. It saddens me that this happens to those couples who are very deserving of having children of their own. Luckily, many choose adoption or have a surrogate if that is a possibility. For others this is not an option and may decide that God is calling them to be childless and lead a different path.
One of my many goals in this lifetime is to help pregnant women during their pregnancy and birth process. Some day I want to further my education and become a nurse midwife. It seems far-fetched as I have a demanding role as a wife and mother of three. However, I know that nothing is impossible and hope to one day get on that path if God directs me to it.

Many blessings to you all and may your month of October be joyful and blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment