Thursday, December 19, 2013

Updates

It occurred to me the other day that I have not blogged for months! I wanted to make a weekly thing but apparently life got in the way (again.. haha). When I received the mail after lunch today, I had a nice letter from a mommy friend that's in my Catholic Motherhood group. After reading the updates of her children and what's going on in her life, I felt like writing myself.
Let's start off with my 4 1/2 year old, Michael

    • He's been my biggest challenge when I am at home with him during the weekdays. (He attends a home based daycare a few days a week.) He seems to be going through his emotions lately and lets me know when his feelings are hurt, when he's mad, frustrated, and happy. I know this is all normal as he's becoming familiar with his own little body. I just hope the frustration and anger subsides as those have been the strongest emotions for him lately! He also needs to work on his listening skills as he really has trouble staying focused when Mom is in his room telling him to do something and he is too busy to do what has been asked. One last thing that is challenging is his eating habits! It is true what they say when kids are more influenced by what the father eats. He loves his dairy and meat but fruit and veggies are something that we have been working with for a few years! (I should mention that he is growing like a weed so I'm not worried in that aspect ;)
    • Michael is an excellent helper (when he does) and does well with any type of school work I give him or he is presented with at daycare. He knows his numbers, letters, is great at puzzles and other things when critical thinking is involved. I can't wait until he goes to kindergarten next year at Holy Family, although, he has asked to be home schooled next year!
Kayden (turned 3 at the end of August)


    • What a big boy he is! Really he is! Who could have thought that a child who just finished chemo/cancer treatments around 6 months ago could bounce back the way he did! He just had his 2nd 3 month check in Kansas City last week, and his oncologist and staff could not get over how WONDERFUL he looked. 
    • In all aspects - physically, developmentally, mentally, socially - he is doing phenomenal. The only thing he struggles with is potty training. He has regressed more and more, but eventually I know he will get it! What I love about him is how social he has become. I used to think he was going to be my shy little boy, but he has really grown into a little man. He talks a lot and has a perfect memory. Yesterday, I asked Michael what they had for lunch at daycare. Michael said pizza and Kayden interrupted with, "No Michael we didn't have that. We had chicken and french fries!" He has shown a little attitude also (I know he gets from big brother) and gets in trouble from time to time which he hates since he is used to getting everything his way like when we were in the hospital. He gets pretty LOUD too when the boys play together. I really do cherish every day I get to be home with them while watching them play. 
Kerry is still working at the golf course and as frustrated as it can get there, I know he really enjoys the work he does. He doesn't really get stressed as much as he used to, and I think as a result he hasn't been having migraines. A couple weekends ago he went riffle hunting and got a big and old buck! We haven't gotten the meat back from the meat processing place and will soon have some deer jerky and sausage to enjoy! Kerry also got a new F150 truck and topper that he has been wanting for years! The muffler fell off of his old truck and was starting to wear down so he was more than ready to get a new one. 
I, myself, have much to update on! Towards the end of summer, I accepted a PRN (as needed work) position at the orthopedic clinic I was working at prior to Kayden's diagnosis with cancer. Work has kept my nursing skills alive, and currently with limited hours, I am looking for a more steady RN position. I am trying to listen to God's calling for me in the nursing field and hopefully can find the right job after the holidays. I find myself leaning towards working at the hospital where I delivered Kayden in Plainville, but I know with more praying and patience, the right place will be determined for me. Obstetrics, oncology, and home health seem to be of most interest to me currently. Aside from nursing, my main focus has been healthy eating and lifestyle changes. I am constantly trying new recipes and using natural ingredients. Eating at McDonalds has phased out as that was our to go place when we were on the road a lot. I have lost quite a bit of weight with just making more healthy meals at home. My bigger challenge right now is exercising. I struggle with motivation and the time factor. I think I just need to make it more enjoyable and am trying to find things the whole family can do to stay active. It is difficult, as some of you probably know, to be active in the winter months. I guess we will have to take advantage of the warmer days and use them for walking/park days!

The entire family got to enjoy DISNEY WORLD early November!! The Make a Wish foundation along with the FHSU wishmakers were able to make this trip happen. We will be forever grateful for that. It was definitely an experience we will all remember. 










As you can tell we had a good time. The boys especially enjoyed meeting the characters even though it doesn't look that way in some of the pics!

To all of you I wish you a Merry Christmas! I know it will be an amazing Christmas with a lot to be thankful for and share with my family, and I hope you find it to be the same for you and yours. God blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment